In our story of Adam and Eve, we learned how God made them leave the Garden of Eden, and how God protected the garden with angels called Cherubims and a flaming sword. After a time Eve had a little baby that she named Cain, and then another little baby she named Abel. When they grew up, Abel was a shepherd, a keeper of sheep, but Cain was like a farmer, he grew crops from the ground.
And when it came time for Cain and Abel to bring an offering to the LORD, Abel brought the best from his flock of sheep and his offering pleased the Lord very much, but Cain brought his offering from what he had grown in the ground, and this did not please the LORD. Cain was very angry.
And the LORD asked Cain “Why are you angry? If you do well, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do well, then sin lies at the door.”
One day Cain was talking with Abel and when they were in the field Cain killed his brother Abel. And the LORD said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” Then Cain replied “I do not know, Am I my brother’s keeper?” The LORD said to Cain “What have you done? I know that you have killed your brother, now you are cursed from the earth. When you plow the ground it will no longer give you good crops. You will be a fugitive and a traveler.”
Cain said to the LORD “My punishment is more than I can bear, I will be a fugitive and a traveler and anyone who finds me will kill me.” The LORD said to him “Whoever slays Cain will have seven times as much punishment upon him.” And the LORD put a mark upon Cain, so that anyone who found him would not kill him. So Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and made a home in a land called Nod, which was at the east of the garden of Eden.
And Cain’s wife had a baby, and they named him Enoch, and Cain built a city, and called the city Enoch after his son.
Memory Verse: “If you do well, will you not be accepted? but if you do not do well, then sin lies at the door.” Genesis 4:7
1. When were Cain and Abel born? Answer: After Adam and Eve had to leave the Garden of Eden.
2. What were Cain and Abel when they grew up? Answer: Cain was like a farmer, and Abel was a shepherd
3. Why did Cain become angry? Answer: Because his offering to the Lord was not accepted, but Abel’s offering was accepted.
4. What did Cain say to the LORD when asked where Abel was? Answer: He told a lie to the LORD and said he didn’t know where Abel was, and added “Am I my brother’s keeper?”
5. What did the LORD do to Cain? Answer: He said that Cain was cursed, and that he would be a fugitive and a traveler, and that the ground would no longer give him good crops.