The Wise Men Visit Little Jesus – Matthew 2
When Jesus was born to Mary in Bethlehem in the days of King Herod, wise men came from the east to Jerusalem saying “Where is he that is born King of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east and have come to worship him.” (No one but Jesus has ever been born King).
When King Herod heard this he was very troubled, and when he had gathered together the chief priests and scribes he demanded to know where Christ should be born. They told him “It is written by the prophets, ‘In Bethlehem of Judea..for out of you shall come a Governor that shall rule my people Israel.’ ”
Then Herod, when he had privately called the wise men, asked them when the star appeared and he sent them to Bethlehem and said “go and search for the chid and when you have found him, bring me word so I can also go and worship him. So the wise men left the king and the star which they saw in the east went before them until it came and stood over where the young child was. (it is “young child” in the King James Bible) and they rejoiced when they saw the star.
When they came into the house (King James says “house” not “stable”) they saw the young child with his mother Mary, and fell down and worshipped him. They opened their treasures and presented to him gold, frankincense and myrrh. But they were warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod and so they went back to their own country by another route.
And the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying “get up and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt and stay there until I bring you word, for Herod will seek the young chid to kil him. So Joseph got up and took the young child and his mother at night and went into Egypt.
After a time when Herod died, the angel of the Lord appeared again to Joseph in a dream and told Joseph to take him and his mother back to Israel, and so Joseph took them to Nazareth.
Memory Verse: Matthew 2:2 “where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east and have come to worship him.”
1. Why did the wise men come to Jerusalem? Answer: Because they had seen a star shining in the east and had come to worship he who was born King of the Jews.
2. Where did the wise men find Jesus? Answer: In a house with his mother Mary.
3. What gifts did they give him? Answer: Gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
4. Why did they go back home by another route? Answer: Because they were warned by God in a dream that they should not return to Herod.
5. Why did Joseph take Mary and Jesus to Egypt? Answer: Because he was warned in a dream to take Mary and Jesus and flee to Egypt.