The Baptism of the Lord Jesus – Luke 3, Matthew 3, Mar 1, John 1, 3
In the first and second of our stories of John the Baptist we learned of the angel Gabriel’s visit to his father Zacharias, and about the visit of Mary, the mother of Jesus to John’s mother Elisabeth before the birth of John.
When John was grown, he was sent by God to be a witness for the Lord Jesus, and he baptized in the wilderness and said “You repent, for the kingdom of heaven is now here.” (Repent means that the people had to believe and acknowledge that they were sinners) And John wore clothes made of camel’s hair, and he ate locusts and wild honey. Locusts are like big grasshoppers.
The priests from Jerusalem came to ask him “Who are you?” and John answered them. He said “I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of the Lord.” Everyone shall see the salvation of God.”
The next day John saw Jesus come to him from Nazareth, and said “Behold the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world.. then John said to Jesus, “I have need to be baptized by you, and you come to me?”, but Jesus said to him, “Let it happen, for we are to fulfill all righteousness.” And so Jesus was baptized by John. And when he came up out of the water, heaven opened, and the spirit descended upon Jesus like a dove. And there came a voice from heaven saying “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” and John told the people that Jesus is the Son of God.
And after that John was baptizing near Salim because there was lots of water there, this was before John was put into prison. And some of the Jews came to John to talk to him about how all men were going to Jesus. And John said “He must increase, but I must decrease”. That means that men must follow Jesus instead of John.
And soon, King Herod had John taken and put into prison, and one day he was put to death, and when the disciples heard of it, they came and took his body, and buried him. Then they told Jesus everything that had happened.
Memory Verse: John 1:29 “….John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”
1. What is the name of the angel who came to talk to John’s parents? Answer: Gabriel
2. What did John tell the people they needed to do? Answer: they needed to repent.
3. What did John wear? What did he eat? Answer: Clothes made of camels hair, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
4. When did John see Jesus? Answer: When John was baptizing people he saw Jesus coming.
5. What did John hear when he baptized Jesus? Answer: He heard the voice of God saying “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.
6. What happened to John? Answer: He was arrested by Herod and put in prison. Later he was killed.