The Feeding of the Five Thousand – Gospel of John 6
This story is probably one of the best known, the story of a boy with five loaves and two fishes.
A great many people followed Jesus because they had seen the miracles he had performed. One day Jesus went up into a mountain and sat with his disciples. And it was almost time for the passover. Jesus looked up and saw a great many people coming to him, and so he said to Philip “Where shall we buy bread, so that these people should eat?” But Jesus knew the answer, because Jesus knows everything and he knew what he was going to do. Philip said to him “even 200 pennysworth of bread would not be enough for everyone to have something to eat.” Then Andrew, one of his disciples, said to Jesus “There is a young boy here, who has five barley loaves and two small fish, but what good are they among so many people?”
And Jesus said “Make the men sit down” There was a lot of grass where they were. And so the men sat down, there were about 5,000 of them. And Jesus took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave to those that were sitting down, and the same with the fish, and they were given as much as they desired. Jesus had multiplied the loaves and fish to feed all those people! And they ate until they were full.
When they were filled, he said to his disciples, “Gather up the leftovers, so that nothing is lost”. And so the disciples filled twelve baskets with the food that was left over.
Then the men who had been fed, after they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said “this must be the prophet that was predicted would come into the world.” They didn’t understand that Jesus was the Son of God. When Jesus knew that they would come and take him by force to make him a king, he went away by himself again into a mountain.
Memory Verse: John 6:6 “…for he himself knew what he would do.”
1. Why did the people follow Jesus? Answer: Because they had seen the miracles Jesus had done on those who had diseases.
2. Why did Jesus ask Philip where they would get bread? Answer: Because Jesus knows everything, and he knew what he was going to do.
3. What did they get from the young boy? Answer: Five barley loaves and two small fishes.
4. How many men were told to sit down? Answer: 5,000
5. What did Jesus say to do after the meal was over? Answer: He told his disciples to gather up the leftovers so that none was lost.