Jesus and the Man with Palsy – Mark 2
One day Jesus went to Capernaum and pretty soon everyone learned that Jesus was in the house, and so many, many people gathered to listen to him. Pretty soon there were so many people that the house was filled, and there was no room for any more people inside the house, and Jesus preached to them.
But some men came carrying one sick with the palsy, and four men carried him upon a bed. And when they found that they could not come into the house where Jesus was, they carried the sick man up onto the roof of the house, and broke up the roof, and let down the bed where the sick man lay, so much did they want him to be with the Lord Jesus.
And so when the Lord Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man sick of the palsy, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”
But there were certain people sitting there, and thinking to themselves, why does this man speak blasphemies? who can forgive sin but God only? And immediately Jesus knew that they were thinking these things in their hearts, and he said to them “Why do you think these things in your hearts? Is it easier to say to the one sick of the palsy, your sins be forgiven you, or to say Rise, and take up your bed and walk? But so that you may know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins, (he said to the man sick of the palsy) I say unto you, Arise, and take up your bed and go your way into your house.” The Lord Jesus knew what the people were thinking in their hearts, just as he knows what we are also thinking in our hearts.
And immediately the man rose up before them, and took up his bed, and went to his own house, glorifying God. And all the people who saw it were amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have never seen anything like this!
Memory verse: Mark 2:10 “But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins…”
1. Why were there so many people in the house? Answer: Because they heard that Jesus was there and they wanted to hear him.
2. What did the men do that had brought the sick man? Answer: They took him up to the roof and broke it apart and lowered him down to Jesus.
3. Why did they do this? Answer: Because they had faith that Jesus could heal him.
4. What did the Lord Jesus say to the sick man first? Answer: He said Son, your sins are forgiven you
5. What were some of the people thinking in their hearts? Answer: They were thinking that Jesus was speaking blasphemy because only God could forgive sin and they didn’t believe that Jesus was God.
6. How did Jesus know what they were thinking? Answer: Because Jesus is God and he knows everything we are thinking.