Jesus Walks on Water – Matthew 14
This story in the life of Jesus takes place right after the feeding of the five thousand..where Jesus fed five thousand men, plus women and children, with five loaves and two fishes..
After this Jesus ordered his disciples to get into a boat and go to the other side while he sent the people away. After Jesus had sent the people away he went up into a mountain by himself to pray, and when the evening had come Jesus was there alone.
But now the boat where his disciples were was in the middle of the sea, and waves were tossing the boat around because of a strong wind. And so late at night, Jesus went out to the disciples on the boat, walking on the sea. When the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were afraid and said “It is a spirit” and they were so frightened they cried out. But right away Jesus spoke to them and said “Be happy, it is I, do not be afraid”.
And Peter answered him and said “Lord, if it is you, tell me to come to you on the water.” And Jesus said “Come” And when Peter had come out of the ship, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was very strong, he became frightened, and began to sink, and cried out saying “Lord, save me!”. And immediately Jesus stretched out his hand, and caught him, and said “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they had come into the ship the wind stopped. Then all that were on the ship came and worshiped him, saying “truly you are the Son of God”.
Memory Verse: Matthew 14:33 “then they…..came and worshiped him saying “truly you are the Son of God”.
1. Why wasn’t Jesus with the disciples in the boat? Answer: Because he sent them off in the boat while he sent the people away.
2. How did Jesus come to the disciples? Answer: He walked on the water to the boat
3. What did Peter do when he knew it was Jesus? Answer: He asked Jesus to tell him to come, and he walked on the water towards Jesus.
4. Why did Peter begin to sink? Answer: Because he took his eyes off Jesus when he noticed the wind.
5. What did the disciples do when Jesus came into the boat? Answer: They worshipped him and said “truly you are the Son of God”
6. Why do you think that Jesus could walk on water? Answer: Because Jesus is the Son of God.