Jesus Teaches About Forgiveness – Matthew 18
One day when Jesus was speaking to his disciples, Peter came to him and said “Lord, how often should I forgive my brother who sins against me? till seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy times seven..” and then Jesus told this parable: (a parable is a story with a lesson to learn)
The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king that decided to take account of his servants. One was brought to him that owed him 10,000 talents (a talent was a unit of money). But because the man did not have enough to pay the king it was commanded that the man, his wife, his children, and all that he had would be sold and payment would be made.
Therefore the servant fell down and worshipped him saying “Lord, have patience with me and I will repay you all.” Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion and let him go and forgave his dept. (compassion is sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help). But the same servant went out and found one of his fellowservants that owed him 100 pence (another unit of money) and with his hands he grabbed the man by the throat and said “Pay me what you owe me.” And his fellow servant fell down at his feet, and pleaded with him saying “have patience with me, and I will pay you all.” But the man would not have patience and he had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt.
When his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told the king all that was done. So the king called the servant and said to him, “O you wicked servant. I forgave you all your debt.. shouldn’t you also have had compassion on your fellowservant even as I had pity on you?” And the king was very angry, and delivered him to the tormentors until he could pay all that was owed to the king.
So in the same way shall my heavenly Father do to you if you from your own hearts, do not forgive every one of your brothers who sins against you.
Memory Verse: Matthew 18:35 “So in the same way shall my heavenly Father do to you if you from your own hearts, do not forgive every one of your brothers who sins against you”
1. What question did Peter ask the Lord Jesus? Answer: How often should I forgive my brother who sins against me? seven times?
2. In the parable, what did the servant do who was brought before the king? Answer: he worshipped him and asked him to have patience and he would pay what he owed.
3. How did the king respond to the servant this first time? Answer: He had compassion and let him go and forgave his debt.
4. What did the servant do to a fellowservant that owed him money? Answer: He grabbed him by the throat and ordered him to pay, and then he had him thrown into prison after the man asked him to have patience.
5. What did the king do to the servant that showed unforgiveness to the fellowservant? Answer: he had the servant delivered to the tormentors until he could repay what he owed.
6. What lesson does this teach us? Answer: That we should forgive anyone who sins against us. As God forgives our sins (when we trust on the Lord Jesus to be our Saviour) so we need to forgive others.