Jesus Heals a Deaf Man – Mark 7
This story is about the day Jesus healed a man who was deaf and not able to speak very well.
One day when Jesus came to the Sea of Galilee, by a place called Decapolis, the people brought to him a man who was deaf, that means he couldn’t hear, and our bible says he had an “impediment” in his speech; that means that there was something wrong so that he couldn’t speak very well.. In verse 35 we find out that the bottom of the man’s tongue was tight so that he couldn’t speak properly.
And they pleaded with Jesus to touch the man to heal him. And so the Lord Jesus took the man away from the group of people, and put his fingers into the man’s ears, and he spit, and touched the man’s tongue. And Jesus looked up to heaven and sighed, and said “Ephphatha” (effattha) which means “Be Opened”
And right away the man’s ears were opened, and he could hear, and the “string of his tongue” was loosened and the man spoke plainly. (If you look in a mirror, and lift your tongue up, you will see the piece of skin that the Lord Jesus loosened for the man)
The Lord Jesus told the people that they were not to tell anyone what he had done, but the more he told them not to, the more they told everyone about it. And everyone that heard was very amazed and said “He has done all things well, he makes the deaf to hear, and those who can’t speak, he makes able to speak.”
Memory Verse: Mark 7:34 “And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him ….Be Opened”
1. Where was Jesus when the people came to him? Answer: at the Sea of Galilee, by Decapolis
2. What was wrong with the man they brought? Answer: He was deaf, and couldn’t speak very well.
3. Where did Jesus take the man? Answer: Away from the group of people
4. What two things did Jesus do to him? Answer: Jesus put his fingers in the man’s ears, and spit and touched the man’s tongue.
5. Why do you think Jesus looked up to heaven and spoke? Answer: To show the man that his power was from God.
6. How long was it before the man was healed? Answer: He was healed at once.
7. How did the people feel when they saw what had happened? Answer: They were very amazed and said that Jesus had done all things well..