The Woman With an Issue of Blood – Matthew 9, Mark 5, Luke 8
One day a man named Jairus came to the Lord Jesus to ask him to come to his daughter who had died because he believed that if the Lord Jesus lay his hand upon the child she would live. So Jesus got up and followed him, and so did Jesus’ disciples.
As they were walking along, a crowd of people were following Jesus, and in this crowd was a woman. This woman had been sick with a disease of the blood for 12 years, and she had been to many physicians who had done many things to her trying to heal her, and she had spent all her money on the physicians. She never was healed, but only grew sicker.
The woman had heard that Jesus was coming and so she came behind him and touched the hem of his clothing because she said to herself “if I may but touch his clothes, I will be whole.” (that means that the woman believed in her heart that if she merely touched the Lord Jesus’ clothing, she would be healed of her illness.” As soon as the woman touched Jesus’ clothing, the disease of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed. But Jesus, knowing immediately that power had gone out from him, turned around and said “Who touched my clothes?” And his disciples said to him “you see the many people who are crowding you and you say ‘who touched my clothes?’ But Jesus said “someone has touched me, for I know that power has gone out from me.”
Jesus looked and saw the woman who had touched his clothes. The woman was very frightened and was trembling, because she knew what had happened to her, but she came and fell down before the Lord Jesus and before all the people. She told him the reason why she had touched him and how she was healed immediately. And Jesus said to her “Daughter, be of good comfort, your faith has made you whole. Go in peace and be healed of your disease.” And from that time the woman no longer had the disease of the blood.
Memory Verse: Luke 8:48 “Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole: go in peace.” (KJV)
1. Where was Jesus going when the woman came behind him? Answer: Jesus was going with Jairus to see his daughter who had died.
2. What did the woman touch? Answer: the hem of Jesus’ clothing.
3. Why did she touch his clothing? Answer: because she believed that if she merely touched his clothing she would be whole (healed).
4. Why do you think that Jesus, who knows all, asked who had touched his clothing? Answer: because he wanted the woman to confess what she had done, why she had done it, and what had happened to her.
5. What was it that healed the woman. Answer: her faith that merely touching Jesus would heal her.