The Fall of Jericho – Joshua 6
For background on this story, please read my story Rahab and the Spies to learn how a women of Jericho named Rahab protected the men that Joshua sent to spy out Jericho. And now no one went in or out of the city of Jericho, because they were afraid of the children of Israel.
And the LORD spoke to Joshua and gave him instructions as to how the city of Jericho would be given to him. Joshua called the priests, and told them to take up the ark of the covenant, and seven priests should each carry a trumpet made from the horn of a male sheep. All the armed men were to go ahead of the priests who blew their trumpets, but Joshua told the people not to shout or make any noise with their voices, Joshua would tell them when to shout. And so they all walked around the city of Jericho one time. Every day for six days they all walked around the city one time, with the priests blowing their trumpets.
On the seventh day, they all got up very early in the morning, but that day they walked around the city seven times, and at the seventh time, when the priests had blown their trumpets, Joshua said to them “SHOUT! FOR THE LORD HAS GIVEN YOU THE CITY! ” So the people shouted when the priests blew their horns, and the wall of Jericho fell down flat, and the men of Joshua took the city, but Rahab and her father, and her mother, and her brothers were all brought out safe because of the scarlet cord in the window. Rahab and her family were saved because she hid the messengers. And after that she lived in Israel.
Memory Verse: Joshua 6:16 “Shout; for the LORD hath given you the city!”
1. How did Joshua know how to take the city of Jericho? Answer: the LORD told Joshua exactly what to do.
2. How many days did they walk around the city with the people keeping silent? Answer: Six days
3. What did Joshua tell the people to do on the seventh day? Answer: He told them to Shout
4. What happened when the people shouted? Answer: The walls of Jericho fell down.
5. Why were Rahab and her family saved? Answer: Because she hid the messengers which Joshua had sent, and because of the scarlet cord the spies had told her to put in her window.