The Transfiguration of Jesus – Luke 9, Matthew 17
There came a time when Jesus began telling his disciples that he was going to go to the city of Jerusalem, where he was going to suffer many things, and be killed, but that he was going to rise again on the third day.
And six days after that, Jesus took Peter, James and John up to a high mountain to pray. While Jesus was praying, he was changed as they were looking at him, and his face shone as brightly as the sun, and his clothing became white as the light. And then, all of sudden, two men who were Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus..and these men were also in their heavenly bodies and they were talking about the things that were going to happen to Jesus in Jerusalem.
But Peter, James and John were sleeping, and they awoke and saw Jesus in his glory, and the two men that stood with him. And Peter said to Jesus “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If it is your will, let us make three tabernacles; one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah. And while he spoke, a bright cloud came over them, and a voice came out of the cloud, which said “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased..you hear him.”
When the disciples heard the voice, they fell on their faces, and were very frightened, but Jesus came and touched them, and said “Get up, and do not be frightened”. And when they looked up, they saw no man, except Jesus only. As they came down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them to tell the vision to no one, until he was risen from the dead.
Memory Verse: Matthew 17:5 “…..This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; you hear him.”
1. Who did Jesus take up to the mountain with him? Answer: Peter, James and John
2. What happened to Jesus as he was praying? Answer: His face began to shine as the sun, and his clothing was white as the light.
3. Who appeared to talk with Jesus? Answer: Moses and Elijah
4. What did Peter want to do? Answer: He wanted to build 3 tabernacles for each of Jesus, Moses and Elijah
5. What did the voice say that spoke out of the cloud? Answer: This is my beloved Son, you hear him.
6. Who do you think spoke out of the cloud? Answer: God the Father