Jesus Our Shepherd – John 10
The same day that Jesus healed the man born blind, the Pharisees were there too, and Jesus told them this story. He said “truly, truly I say to you, he that goes in to the sheep by another way, that person is a thief. But the one that goes in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the door is opened, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out. And he walks in front of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. They will not follow a stranger, but they will run away because they don’t know the voice of a stranger.”
But the Pharisees did not understand what Jesus was telling them. And so he spoke to them again, and explained the story he had just told.
And he said “truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door. All that came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door, by me if any man enters in, he shall be saved. The thief comes only to steal, and to kill. I have come so that they might have life. I am the Good Shepherd: the good shepherd gives his life for the sheep. But he that is a hired person, who is not the shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and runs away; and the wolf catches the sheep.
I am the Good Shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me. As the Father (God) knows me, I know the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep too. I must bring them as well, they will hear my voice and then there will be one group of sheep, and one Shepherd. Because of this my Father loves me, because I lay down my life, so that I can take it up again. No man can take my life, but I lay it down myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This power I have received from my Father.
Now these things that Jesus said caused a great separation among the Jews. Some said he was a devil and was crazy, and wondered why anyone would listen to Jesus. Others said that these were not the words of a devil, because they knew that a devil could not heal a blind person as Jesus healed the man born blind. And at this time they were in Jerusalem, and it was winter. And so the Jews came to Jesus and asked him to tell them plainly if he were the Christ.
And so Jesus answered them “I told you and you did not believe me. The works I do in my Father’s name, they show who I am. But you do not believe me because you are not of my sheep. My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life; and they shall never perish, nor will any man take them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them to me is greater than all and no man is able to take them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.
And then the Jews were so angry that they wanted to stone Jesus because they thought that he was a man like they were. They did not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. But Jesus escaped from them and went to the place where John the Baptist had baptized people before he was killed. And that is where the Lord Jesus stayed. And many people came to him and said that John had not done any miracles but that all the things that John had said about Jesus were true. And many people believed on him.
Memory Verse: John 10:30 “I and my Father are one.”
No questions or answers here, but some truths to believe and receive:
1. I am the door – Jesus is saying that he is the only way of salvation, though some people say there are many ways to heaven, Jesus is the only way.
2. I am the Good Shepherd – Jesus is Lord, and we who are saved are his sheep. He knows each one by name, and we know him, and will not follow anyone else.
3. I have other sheep too. – Jesus at this time was talking to the Jews..and some of the Jews believed that he was the Son of God..but the other sheep are the Gentiles, that is a person who is not Jewish, like you or me. Jesus is saying that those Gentile people who believe that Jesus is the Son of God and receive him as their Saviour, will be saved also, and then there will be one group of sheep. “All are one in Christ Jesus”
4. I and my Father are one. – Jesus is saying that he is God…
5. I lay down my life and I take it up again – Jesus is speaking of his death on the cross at Calvary, where he gave up his spirit. And of his resurrection.