King Saul – 1 Samuel 8
In previous stories we learned how Samuel’s mother, Hannah, prayed for a son and Samuel was born, and how the Lord called Samuel when he was in the house of the Lord. In this story we learn how the children of Israel wanted a king in the days when Samuel judged Israel. When Samuel grew very old, the leaders of Israel demanded a king like all the other nations had. They did not want Samuel’s sons to judge them. Samuel was not very pleased about that because the leaders did not seek God’s will, it was something they wanted for themselves. The people were still wanting to do what was right in their own eyes.
Samuel prayed to the LORD, and the LORD told Samuel that they would have a king, but because they had rejected the LORD, that king would bring only bad things to them..Samuel told the people the word the LORD had spoken to him, but the people still demanded a king.
There was a man called Kish, who had a son named Saul, who was a mighty man, there was no one in Israel quite like him. The LORD told Samuel that he was sending Saul to him, and that Samuel should anoint him to be the king that the people of Israel desired. And so when Samuel saw Saul, the LORD said “Behold the man who I spoke to you about..this man shall be king over my people.” When Samuel met Saul he gave him food, and the next morning Samuel said to Saul “Send your servant on ahead of us, but you stand still so I may show you the word of God.” Then Samuel took a vial of oil and anointed Saul, that means he poured the oil on Saul’s head, and kissed him and said “It is because the LORD has anointed you to be captain over Israel.” And then Samuel gave Saul instructions where to go and what would happen to him, and that the Spirit of the LORD would come upon him, and that God would be with him and that he would speak prophesies. That is telling events that will happen in the future. And so all things happened as Samuel said they would, and when Saul went home he was met by some prophets. The Spirit of God came upon him, and he spoke prophesies to those that were with him.
Then Samuel called the people of Israel together, and spoke the word of the LORD to them, how the LORD had delivered them from Egypt, and how they were now rejecting their God who had saved them from all their enemies and all their trials, but instead of giving thanks, they wanted a king instead of serving the LORD. Samuel told them that Saul was the person whom the LORD gave them to be king, and so the people shouted “God save the king.” Then Samuel sent them all home, and Saul also went home, and some men went with him whose hearts God had touched.
But some people were not happy that Saul was king.
Memory Verse: 1 Samuel 8:6 “……..and Samuel prayed unto the LORD”
1. Why did the people of Israel want a king? Answer: Because they didn’t want Samuel’s sons to judge them, they wanted a king like the other nations.
2. What did Samuel do when the people told him they wanted a king? Answer: He prayed to the LORD
3. How did Samuel know who the king should be? Answer: The LORD told Samuel that Saul would be coming to see him
4. How did Samuel make Saul king? Answer: He anointed him with oil (poured oil on his head)
5. What was the first thing Saul did after Samuel anointed him? Answer: He went and met some prophets, and spoke prophesies after the Spirit of the LORD came upon him.
6. What did Samuel say to the people when he called them together? Answer: He told them everything that God had done for them, and how they had rejected God, and that Saul was the king God had given them.