David Becomes King – 2 Samuel 8
In previous stories we learned how David was anointed by Samuel to be God’s chosen King. There came a time when King Saul and Jonathan were killed in battle, and all the tribes of Israel came to David and he was made King over Israel. David was 30 years old when he began to reign. He fought against the Jebusites and took the city of Jerusalem, and it is called the city of David.
When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed King over Israel, they came to war against him, but the Lord was with David and Israel had victory over the Philistines. For a time David had rest from his enemies.
But after this David had to fight against the Moabites, and they became David’s servants and brought him gifts. He also fought the king of Zobah, and took from him 1,000 chariots, and kept enough horses for 100 chariots. When the Syrians came against David, he killed 22,000 men. David built armed fortresses in Syria, and the Syrians also became his servants. And David built fortresses everywhere he conquered, and the LORD preserved David wherever he went.
But David enquired if there was anyone left of the house of Jonathan, so that he could be kind because of his friendship with Jonathan. David learned that Jonathan had a son named Mephibosheth, who was crippled on both his feet. When Mephibosheth was brought to David, he bowed before him said “Behold thy servant!” But David said to him “Do not be afraid, I will be kind to you because of your father Jonathan, and you will always eat at my table.” But Mephibosheth did not understand, and said “Who am I that you should look upon me?” And so David gave to Mephibosheth all that belonged to Saul and his house, and ordered people to care for the land, but Mephibosheth always lived in Jerusalem, and always ate at King David’s table, and he was crippled on both his feet.
Memory Verse: 2 Samuel 8:14 “And the LORD preserved David wherever he went.”
1. How old was David when he began to reign? Answer: 30
2. Who came to fight against David when they heard he had been made King? Answer: The Philistines
3. Why did David want to find a member of the family of Jonathan? Answer: So he could be kind because of his friendship with Jonathan
4. Why was wrong with Mephibosheth? Answer: He was crippled in both his feet
5. How did David show Mephibosheth kindness? Answer: He gave him everything that was left that belonged to Saul and his family, and Mephibosheth ate every day with King David.