The Holy Spirit Comes – Acts 2
After the Lord Jesus ascended into heaven the disciples returned to Jerusalem, and when they got there all of the apostles went into a room and stayed there praying together. The women who had followed Jesus were with them as well as Mary, the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
It was decided that there should be another apostle to take the place of Judas who had betrayed Jesus..so they chose two men, one named Barsabas and one named Matthias. They prayed and then chose Matthias. But in another story we will learn that Jesus appeared from heaven to choose a man called Paul to be an apostle too.
On the day called Pentecost all the apostles were in one place when suddenly there was a sound from heaven like a very great wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there was like a little piece of fire on each one of them and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost. They began to speak in other languages that the Spirit gave them.
Now there were in Jerusalem at this time devout men from every nation. When they found out what had happened, everyone came together and every man was amazed, because they heard the apostles speak in their own language. They said to each other “Aren’t these all Galileans which are speaking? How are we hearing our own language of the place where we were born? We can hear in our own language the wonderful works of God. What does this mean?” But some of them thought that the sounds that they heard meant that the apostles had too much wine to drink.
But Peter stood up and said “These men are not drunk but this is what was spoken of by the prophet Joel. You men, hear these words. Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God by miracles and wonders, was crucified. But God has raised him from the dead, and now he is at the right hand of God the Father. We have received the promise of the Holy Ghost and this is what you see and hear. Now God has made Jesus who you crucified both Lord and Christ.”
Now when the men heard this, they said “What shall we do?” and Peter said “Repent and be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall receive the Holy Ghost.” And so that day 3,000 were saved. And they continued in the apostles teachings, in fellowship, and in prayers. Every day they continued praising God and the Lord added to the church those that should be saved.
Memory Verse: Acts 2:36 “…God hath made that same Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
1. Where did the apostles go after Jesus ascended into heaven? Answer: Back to Jerusalem where they went to a room.
2. What did they do when they got there? Answer: They stayed there and prayed together.
3. What did the apostles hear, and what came to the apostles on the day of Pentecost? Answer: The sound like a very great wind, and the Holy Ghost came like little pieces of fire on each one of them.
4. What happened to the apostles when the Holy Ghost came upon them? Answer: They spoke in other languages than their own.
5. What did the people think who heard? Answer: Some wondered how they could hear their own languages, but some thought they had too much wine.
6. How many people were saved that day? Answer: 3,000