Philip and the Ethiopian Man – Acts 8
When the number of disciples were increasing, there was chosen a man named Philip to preach the gospel also. He went to Samaria and preached Christ there. And one day the angel of the Lord spoke to Philip and said “Get up, and go to the south to the desert of Gaza.” So Philip went there, and he saw a man from Ethiopia, a man of great authority under Candace who was Queen of Ethiopia. This man took care of all her treasure and had come to Jerusalem to worship.
Now he was returning, and as he sat in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. And the Spirit spoke to Philip and said “Go near, and join yourself to this chariot”. Philip ran to the man from Ethiopia and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet so he said “Do you understand what you are reading?” The man said “How can I, unless a man explains it to me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the place in the book of Isaiah where the man was reading was this: ‘He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb mute before his shearer, so he did not open his mouth: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.’
The Ethiopian man said to Philip, “I ask you, who is this prophet speaking of? is he speaking of himself or of some other man?”
Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus. As they went on their way, they came to some water, and the man said, Look, here is water. Is there any reason that I should not be baptized?” Philip said “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And the man answered “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
He commanded the chariot to stand still and Philip and the Ethiopian man went down into the water, and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, and the Ethiopian man did not see him anymore, and the man went on his way rejoicing.
But Philip was found at a city called Azotus, and he preached in all the cities.
Memory Verse: Acts 8:37 “..and he answered and said “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
1. Why did Philip go where the Ethiopian man was? Answer: the angel of the Lord told Philip to go to the desert where the man was.
2. Who was the Ethiopian man? Answer: He was a man of great authority who cared for the treasures of the Queen of Ethiopia.
3. What was he doing when Philip came to him? Answer: He was reading the prophet Isaiah.
4. What did he ask Philip to do? Answer: He asked Philip to explain to him what he was reading.
5. What happened when Philip preached Jesus to him? Answer: The Ethiopian man believed that Jesus is the Son of God
6. What happened when they saw the body of water? Answer: They both went down into the water and Philip baptized him, and the man went on his way rejoicing.