Solomon and the Queen of Sheba – 1 Kings 10
When Solomon became king of Israel, the LORD give Israel rest, and Solomon prepared to build a house for the LORD. And so Solomon got cedar trees from Lebanon, and he brought a great many men together to lay the foundation of the temple. And so 480 years after the children of Israel came out of Egypt, Solomon began to build the house of the LORD.
The stones used in building the house were made ready to fit together before they were brought, so that there was no sound of any tool heard while the house was built. When the house was finished, it was covered with beams and boards of cedar. The whole house was covered with gold, including the floor. And Solomon made two cherubim (which are angels) and covered them with gold, and they were set in the inner house and their wings touched each other. Solomon was building the house of the LORD for seven years.
When the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to ask him many questions, because she wanted to test the things that he said. She came to Jerusalem with camels that carried spices, gold, and precious stones, and when she came to Solomon she spoke to him of all that was in her heart. And Solomon answered all her questions, he did not keep anything back.
When the queen of Sheba had seen all Solomon’s wisdom, and the house of the LORD that he had built, and his servants, and his ministers, and the way in which Solomon went up to the house of the LORD, she had no doubting spirit any longer. She said to Solomon “It was a true report that I heard in my own land of your acts and of your wisdom. But I did not believe the words until I came and my eyes saw it, and even half was not told me. Your wisdom and riches are far greater than I had heard. Your men are happy, your servants are happy that stand before you continually and hear your wisdom. Blessed be the LORD your God, which delights in you to set you upon the throne of Israel: because the LORD loved Israel, and so he made you king to give judgment and justice.”
The queen gave Solomon 120 talents of gold, and many spices and precious stones. King Solomon gave to the queen of Sheba all that she desired, whatever she asked. And so she went back to her own country, she and her servants. Solomon gave the queen of Sheba something which was even more precious, he answered her questions about the LORD of Israel, and the knowledge of God and the Lord Jesus Christ is the most precious knowledge of all.
Memory Verse: 1 Kings 10:9 “Blessed be the LORD your God, which delighted in you….”
1. Why was there no sound of tools made when the house was built? Answer: Because the stones were prepared before they were brought to fit together.
2. What did Solomon cover the whole house with including the floor? Answer: Gold
3. Why did the queen of Sheba come to see Solomon? Answer: Because she heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the LORD.
4. What did she bring him? Answer: Gold, spices and precious stones
5. What did king Solomon do for the queen of Sheba? Answer: He answered all her questions, and did not keep anything back.
6. What do you think the most precious thing Solomon gave the queen of Sheba? Answer: He told her about the LORD God.