Elijah and the Little Cloud – 1 Kings 18
In the previous story about Elijah, we learned about how the power of the LORD was shown to the prophets of Baal in a mighty way.
At that time there had been no rain on the earth for 3 years. After this Elijah said to King Ahab, “get up, eat and drink for there is the sound of a great deal of rain.” So Ahab got up to eat and drink, and Elijah went up to Mount Carmel with his servant. At the top of the mountain Elijah threw himself down on the ground and put his face between his knees. After some time passed he said to his servant “go up now and look toward the sea.” The servant went up and looked and came back saying “there is nothing.” But Elijah sent the servant 7 times. And it came to pass at the 7th time the servant came back and said “Look! a little cloud is rising out of the sea like a man’s hand.” Elijah said to the servant “go up to Ahab and say ‘prepare your chariot and get down so that you are not stopped by the rain.’ And while they were speaking the heaven became black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. Ahab drove his chariot back to the city of Jezreel, but the hand of the LORD was on Elijah, and he gathered up his clothing around his waist and ran ahead of Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.
But Jezebel, Ahab’s wife, was very displeased with Elijah.
Memory Verse: 1 Kings 18:44 “….Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man’s hand.”
1. How long had it been since it had rained on the earth? Answer: 3 years
2. How do you think that Elijah knew that rain was coming? Answer: the LORD must have let him hear the sound of rain
3. Where did Elijah go with his servant? Answer: to the top of Mount Carmel
4. How many times did the servant go and look toward the sea? Answer: 7 times
5. What did the servant see the 7th time? Answer: a little cloud coming out of the sea like a man’s hand
6. What did Elijah do when the rain came? Answer: He gathered up his clothes around his waist and ran faster than Ahab’s chariot.
7. Who was displeased with Elijah? Answer: Ahab’s wife Jezebel