Elijah Anoints Elisha, and is Taken to Heaven – 2 Kings 2
In a previous story about Elijah we learned about the time when Elijah went and hid himself in a cave because of Jezebel. There came a very great wind, but the LORD was not in the wind. There came an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. There came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a still, small voice, and the LORD was in that voice. He told Elijah to go and anoint Elisha to be prophet in Elijah’s place.
Elijah found Elisha plowing in his father’s field, and Elijah put his cloak around Elisha. Elisha wanted to go and kiss his father and mother. He took some oxen, and cooked them and gave them to the people, and then he followed Elijah.
For a long time Elijah had spoken the words of the LORD to the people of Israel, but there came a time Elijah knew that he was going to be taken by the LORD. He told Elisha to stay behind while he went to Bethel. But Elisha would not leave Elijah. And then Elijah told Elisha to stay behind while he went to Jericho, but Elisha said “As the LORD lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.” and they went on together. Then Elijah told Elisha to stay behind while he went to Jordan, but again Elisha said “As the LORD lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.” and they went together.
There came 50 men of the sons of the prophets who stood watching Elijah and Elisha. Elijah took his cloak and wrapped it together and stuck the water, and it was divided, and Elijah and Elisha crossed the Jordan river on dry ground. Elijah said “Ask what I should do for you, before I am taken away from you.” And Elisha said “I pray you, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.” Elijah said “You have asked a difficult thing, but if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be so to you, but if you don’t see me, it will not be so.”
And as they went on together, and talked, all of a sudden there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and they were separated, and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. Elisha saw it, and he cried “My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen” Elisha saw Elijah no more. He took hold of his own clothes, and tore them in two pieces. Then he took up the cloak of Elijah, and went and stood by the bank of the Jordan river. He took the cloak of Elijah and struck the water and said “Where is the LORD God of Elijah?” and the water parted, and Elisha went over.
And Elisha became prophet in Elijah’s place.
Now the men who were watching wanted to look for Elijah, because they saw him taken up and thought he might be in a mountain or in a valley. First Elijah said no, but finally he agreed. And they sent 50 men to look for Elijah for 3 days, but they did not find him.
Memory Verse: 2 Kings 2:4 “…as the LORD lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.”
1. When Elijah was in the cave, how did he hear the voice of the LORD? Answer: Not in the wind, not in the earthquake, not in the fire, but a still, small voice.
2. Where did Elijah find Elisha? Answer: In a field plowing with his father’s oxen
3. How did Elisha know that Elijah had chosen him? Answer: Elijah put his cloak around him.
4. What miracle happened when they came to the Jordan River? Answer: Elijah struck the water with his cloak, and it parted and they crossed on dry ground.
5. How did Elijah go to heaven? Answer: In a chariot of fire, drawn by horses of fire, he was taken up in a whirlwind.
6. Why do you think Elisha agreed to let the people look for Elijah? Answer: Because he knew they would not find him, and would realize that God took Elijah to heaven.