Paul and Barnabas – Acts 13
Separated for the Work of the Gospel
In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers who were Barnabas, Simeon, Lucius, Manaen and Saul (who is also called Paul). As they were gathered together ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Ghost said “separate Barnabas and Saul to me for the work which I have called them to do.” When they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands upon Barnabas and Saul, they sent them away and John Mark was with them as well. So having been sent forth by the Holy Ghost, they journeyed to Seleucia and from there they went to Cyprus.
When they were at a place called Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews. And when they reached a place called Paphos, they met a certain sorcerer who was a false prophet (that means he foretold things that were not true) who was a man named Barjesus who was also a Jew. This man Barjesus was with the deputy of the country. The deputy’s name was Sergius Paulus and he was a wise man who had called for Barnabas and Saul because he wanted to hear the word of God.
But the sorcerer stood against them because he wanted to turn the deputy away from the faith. Then Saul (Paul) being filled with the Holy Ghost, looked at the sorcerer and said “you child of the devil, you who are an enemy to righteous things, will you stop trying to turn away the truth of the right ways of the Lord? The hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.” And immediately a mist and a darkness came upon the sorcerer and he needed someone to lead him by the hand. Then the deputy, when he saw what had happened, believed, being amazed at the doctrine of the Lord.
After that when Paul and those that were with him left Paphos, they came to Perga and John Mark left them and returned to Jerusalem.
Memory Verse: Acts 13:12 “than the deputy….believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.”
1. What were the prophets and teachers in the church of Antioch doing when Barnabas and Saul were separated by the Holy Ghost? Answer: they were praying and fasting.
2. Why did Barnabas and Saul go to see the deputy? Answer: because he was a wise man who had sent for them because he wanted to hear the word of God.
3. Who tried to stop Barnabas and Saul from seeing the deputy? Answer: A sorcerer named Barjesus who wanted to turn the deputy away from the faith.
4. What happened to the sorcerer? Answer: The Lord caused him to be blind.
5. What happened to the deputy when he saw what happened? Answer: He believed, being amazed at the doctrine of the Lord.