Paul and Silas in Prison – Acts 16
Now there came a time when Paul went to a city called Phillippi, and on the Sabbath day they went down to the river to pray, and a woman named Lydia was there. She was from a city called Thyatira, and she heard Paul praying. The Lord opened her heart and she believed the things Paul was speaking of. When she was baptized, and her household also, she asked Paul to stay in her house because she was faithful to the Lord. And so Paul stayed there.
But one day a certain young woman possessed with an evil spirit started following Paul, and finally one day Paul said to the spirit “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her” When her masters saw that they could not make any more money from her, they caught Paul and Silas and took them to the rulers and said “These men, being Jews, are causing a lot of trouble in this city, and they are teaching things which are not lawful for us to receive or observe, because we are Romans.”
So all the people rose up against them, and the rulers tore off their clothes and had them beaten. When they had been struck many times, they were thrown into prison, and the jailor was told to keep them secure. He put them in the innermost part of the prison and put their feet in stocks. (those are wooden blocks which went around their feet).
At midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God and the prisoners heard them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, and the foundations of the prison were shaken. Immediately all the doors were opened and everyone was set free. The keeper of the prison, waking up and seeing the prison doors open, was going to kill himself with his own sword because he thought that all the prisoners had ran away.
But Paul cried with a loud voice saying “Don’t hurt yourself, we are all here.” So the keeper called for a light and ran in, and shaking he fell down before Paul and Silas. He brought them out and said “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They said “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house.” Then they spoke to him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
And that very same hour he took them and washed their wounds, and was baptized, he and all his house right away. Then he gave them meat to eat and rejoiced, believing in God with everyone in his house.
When it was daytime, the rulers told the keeper of the prison to let Paul and Silas go. And so Paul and Silas went back to the house of Lydia. When they saw the people who were in the house, they comforted them and left.
Memory Verse: Acts 16:31 “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved….”
Are you saved? Have you believed on the Lord Jesus Christ?
1. What happened to Lydia when she heard Paul praying? Answer: God opened her heart and she believed the things Paul was saying.
2. Why were Paul and Silas put in prison? Answer: Because the people said they were causing trouble in the city
3. What were Paul and Silas doing when the earthquake came? Answer: They were praying and singing praises to God.
4. Why was the keeper going to kill himself? Answer: Because he thought that everyone had fled.
5. How did Paul say that the keeper could be saved? Answer: Paul said “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved.”
6. What did the keeper do after he was saved? Answer: He was baptized and then he gave Paul and Silas something to eat.