Elisha and the Ax Head – 2 Kings 6
There came a day when the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, “the place where we live with you is too small for us, so please let us go to Jordan so that each of us can make a place there where we may live. Elisha allowed them to go.
One of them asked Elisha to bring his servants and come with them. Elisha told him that he would go, and he went with them. When they came to Jordan, they all cut wood to build a place for each of them.
But just as one of them was cutting down a tree, the ax head fell into the water and the man was filled with sorrow. He cried out to Elisha saying “oh master, the ax was borrowed”. So Elisha, the man of God, said “where did it fall?” and the man showed Elisha the place where the ax fell into the water. Then Elisha cut down a stick and threw it into the water and suddenly the iron ax head came to the surface and floated there.
Elisha told the man “take it up.” and the man put out his hand and took the ax head up out of the water.
Memory Verse: “2 Kings 6:6 “And he cut down a stick, and threw it into the water, and the iron did swim.”
1. Why did the sons of the prophets want to go to Jordan? Answer: because the place where they were was too small for them.
2. What did Elisha do when they went to Jordan? why? Answer: Elisha went with them because one of them asked Elisha to bring his servants and come with them.
3. How did the ax head fall into the water? Answer: The man was cutting down a tree when the ax head fell into the water.
4. Why was the man so upset? Answer: Because it was a borrowed ax.
5. Why do you think the man cried out to Elisha for help? Answer: Because he knew that Elisha was a man of God.
6. What miracle happened when Elisha threw the stick into the water? Answer: The iron ax head came to the surface and floated.
7. Why do you think that Elisha asked the man to take the ax head up instead of getting it himself? Answer: Elisha was requesting an act of obedience from the man who had to trust that the ax head would float until he picked it up.