Psalm 112 – The blessings of the honest and just man.
1. Praise you the LORD, Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, that greatly delights in his commandments.
2. His children shall be mighty upon the earth: the children of the honest and just man shall be blessed.
3. His house shall prosper: and his righteousness will last for ever.
4. To the honest and just man, there is light in the darkness: he is full of grace, compassion, and holy in heart.
5. A good man shows kindness, and lends. He will guide his business judging right from wrong.
6. Surely he shall not be moved. The honest and just man shall be remembered forever.
7. He shall not be afraid of bad news because his heart is firmly trusting in the LORD.
8. His heart is set, he shall not be afraid, until he sees that which he desires come upon his enemies.
9. He has given to the poor, his righteousness sustains him for ever, he shall be raised with honour.
10. The wicked shall see, and be very unhappy, the desire of the wicked shall pass away.
First in importance, the writer of this psalm praises the LORD, and then second, begins to tell us the blessings of a man who fears the LORD (and once again, this is a respect of God for who He is, our Sovereign LORD), and takes great happiness in God’s commandments. He lives his life in accordance with God’s commandments.
It is promised to his children, and possibly his children’s children (called “seed”) that they will be mighty, and blessed because of their father’s holiness of heart.
His house will know prosperity, perhaps in land, or animals, or even the money of the day.
To the honest and just man there is light in the darkness, that means that when times are very hard, the LORD will provide a way. This man is full of grace, that means kindness and goodness that can only come from knowing the Lord. He is full of love and sorrow for what someone else might be going through. he gives to those who are poor, and lends to those in need, and he always goes about his business in a private manner, judging right and wrong and doing what is correct.
This man will always be remembered. He is never afraid of hearing bad news because his heart is always trusting in the Lord.
Those who are wicked see his righteous life, and they are brought to sorrow because of it, their desires to do evil shall perish.