Psalm 113 – A Psalm of Praise
1. You praise the LORD. Praise, O you servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.
2. Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.
3. From the time the sun rises until the time the sun goes down, the LORD’s name is to be praised.
4. The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens.
5. Who is like the LORD our God, who lives on high.
6. Who humbles himself to look at the things that are in heaven, and in the earth.
7. He raises the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy out of their terrible condition.
8. So that he may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people.
9. He makes the woman who cannot have children, to be a keeper of her house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.
What a beautiful song of praise this is. In this psalm we learn why we are to praise the Lord, and what wonderful things He does for those who praise His name. This psalm speaks to servants of the LORD. These are people who love the LORD and want to be obedient to Him, and serve Him because He is their LORD. We are told to praise the name of the LORD.. the writer says that the name of the LORD is to be praised from now and forever. All day long, from sunrise to sunset, the LORD’s name is to be praised.
And then we find out why. Because he is above all the nations, that means not only that the LORD is in heaven, but also that he is all powerful over all the nations. He puts governments in power and takes them away too. The LORD’s glory is above the heavens and someday everyone will see the glory of the LORD when Jesus comes again. Then it will look like brilliant light, brighter than we can ever imagine, shining from one end of the sky to the other. O what a day that will be.
The writer asks who is like the LORD? but he knows that no one is like the LORD. The mighty LORD sees everything that is in heaven, and everything that is on earth. He even sees the very smallest part of his creation. He knows when a little sparrow falls. Our LORD is a very kind LORD, he brings poor and needy people to do mighty and powerful things. And he provides for their needs.
And our LORD is so kind, that when he sees a woman who cannot have any children, he gives her a home to care for, and gives her children and she is filled with joy.
But we must remember that the people the LORD does these wonderful things for are people the LORD knows love him, not people who are fighting against him.