Psalm 91 – the Lord’s protection over His own
1. He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the LORD, He is my shelter and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3, Surely he shall deliver you from the trap of the hunter, and from harmful diseases.
4. He shall cover you with his feathers, and under his wings shall you trust: his truth shall be your shield and your defense..
5. You shall not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flies by day.
6. Nor for the danger that walks in darkness, nor for the destruction that comes at noonday.
7. A thousand shall fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you.
8. Only with your eyes shall you behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9. Because you have made the LORD, which is my shelter, even the most High, your dwelling place..
10. There shall no evil come upon you, neither shall any plague come near your home.
11. For he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.
12. They shall lift you up in their hands, to prevent you from stumbling.
13. You shall tread upon the lion and the snake, the young lion and the dragon shall you trample under foot.
14. Because he has set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he has known my name.
15. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him, and honour him.
16. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation.
This psalm speaks of the LORD’s protection over those who have trusted him for salvation. The last three verses are the LORD speaking, and He is saying that because he (that is anyone that has trusted the LORD) loves the Lord, and placed his trust in Him, the LORD will deliver him from evil. The LORD will answer those who call upon him, the LORD will be with those who believe in Him when they are in trouble, and if it be His will, that person will have long life and the LORD will show them the joy of salvation.
Some of this psalm is like a picture. The LORD is pictured as a bird who hides her babies under her wings when danger threatens. Under her wings, her babies are sheltered. And we say that the LORD is our fortress (strength) he is “my God”, that is personal, and we trust in him. The psalmist says his truth shall be our shield and buckler. That means the Word of God, the holy bible, is God’s truth, and as we cling to its promises and teachings, it is our shield from the trials and dangers that come our way. Its truth will carry us through.
Because we trust in him he will deliver us from danger and we don’t need to be frightened by any trouble, whether by night or by day. The LORD is able to protect His own through any time of trouble. If it be His will there shall be no evil come upon us, or any sickness to our home. But we must remember that it may also be His will to take us home to him, but in this psalm, it is about the LORD’s divine protection.
The LORD will send his angels to be our protection in all our ways, they will keep us from danger, standing guard over us, even though we cannot see them. We just never know how many ways the angels have protected us from danger. Perhaps we can think about dangerous times, and maybe we wonder how we ever got through. It was because the angels, who are ministering spirits, protected us and carried us through.