Psalm 95 – A wonderful psalm of praise and joy in the Lord.
1. O come, let us sing to the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
2. Let us come before his presence giving thanks, singing songs with sounds of joy.
3. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
4. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.
5. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land.
6. O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
7-8 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. Today if you will hear his voice, do not harden your heart as in the days of temptation in the wilderness:
9. When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
10. For forty years I was grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do wrong in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
11. Unto whom I vowed in my great anger that they should not enter into my rest.
In Verses 1 to 6, the psalmist tells us that we should praise and worship the Lord with joyful sounds, because He is the rock of our salvation, He is a great God, and a great King above all gods. gods are those who men who do not know the Lord as their Saviour worship. The psalmist gives praise to God as Creator of the earth and everything in it.
He says that we should worship and bow down before the Lord who made us. Because He is our God, and we are like his sheep. I am reminded of psalm 23, “the Lord is my shepherd” and we know that the Lord Jesus is the good shepherd.
And then the second half of the psalm is a warning, for men not to harden their hearts towards the Lord as Israel did in the time they were wandering in the wilderness when Moses brought them out of Egypt. During that time, many of the people did not believe in the Lord in their hearts, and they did not know his ways. And because of their sin of unbelief, the Lord made a solemn vow that they would not enter into His place of rest.