Psalm 67 – A prayer that the nations will come to know the Lord God.
1. God show mercy to us, and bless us, and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah.
2. That your way may be known upon earth, your saving health among all nations.
3. Let the people praise you O God; let all the people praise you.
4. O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for you shall judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon the earth.
5. Let the people praise you, O God; let all the people praise you.
6. Then shall the earth give forth her increase, and God, even our own God, shall bless us.
7. God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.
In this psalm, we again have the word “Selah” that means “stop and think about what has just been said” The writer of this psalm is praying for the mercy and blessing of the Lord upon His people. He prays that by seeing what God does in the lives of His people, the nations will come to salvation through faith.
The writer asks that not only some of the people, but all of the people will praise God. He says “O God” in true worship.
The writer prays that the people of the earth will be happy, and sing for joy to the Lord God, and then he speaks of what will happen when our Saviour comes again, that the people will be judged righteously, that means in all truth, and that He will govern all the nations of the earth. And again we are to stop and think about that! Now there are presidents, and prime ministers, and other people governing each nation. But when the Saviour comes again, He will govern all the earth!
Again the psalmist asks that all the people praise God with holy praise, because then the earth will bring forth an increase, that means it will bring forth not only an abundance of food, but also an abundance of people who love the Lord and follow him. The psalmist says that God will then bless us, and everyone in the earth will fear him, again this is a fear of respect for who God is, our mighty all knowing, all powerful God.