Psalm 23 – The Lord is my Shepherd
Probably the best known and most loved of all David’s psalms.
1. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters.
3. He restores my soul: he leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4. Yes, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not be afraid of evil: for you are with me, your rod and your staff comfort me.
5. You prepare a table before me even when my enemies are present. You pour oil on my head anointing me, my cup is so full, it runs over.
6. Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
When David says “The Lord is MY Shepherd”, he is acknowledging that he has a personal relationship with the Lord, He says that just as a shepherd cares for his sheep, the Lord provides him with daily care and rest, daily food and water.. not only being food to eat and water to drink, David also means this in a spiritual way. Food is the word of God, and his water is the Holy Spirit. He leads David in ways that bring comfort and peace.
When David says “He restores my soul” he means that if David strays away from the Lord, the Lord is faithful to bring him back to Him. Even though David’s life might be in danger, he has no fear, because he knows the Lord will protect him, and that the Lord is with him, and he is a comfort to David. David is secure in the knowledge that the Lord’s goodness and mercy will be with him all the days of his life, and when he dies, he will be in heaven with the Lord.