Bible Story Craft for Parting of the Red Sea
1. for pillar of a cloud, white construction paper, cotton puffs, or white paint, felt pen or crayon
2. for pillar of fire, construction paper, cellophane in red, yellow and orange, or construction paper red, yellow and orange, or red, orange and yellow paint, felt pens or crayons.
3. for Moses’ rod, piece of cardboard or construction paper; piece of wood or brown paint, felt pen or crayon.
4. for red sea parting, cardboard or construction paper, glue and sand for sea bottom or beige paint, felt pen or crayon; blue pieces of fabric or blue paint, felt pen or crayon for waves parted.
1. cut the pillar of a cloud out, paste or trace onto white construction paper.. glue on pieces of cotton for the cloud, or color it white if traced, have the children make circular strokes on the drawing to show the cloud if they are coloring it.
Explain to them that when the Israelites left Egypt, the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud to lead them the way.
2. Cut out the pillar of fire, glue it on construction paper, if you have cellophane in red, orange and yellow, cut pieces and glue them on the construction paper. Or glue pieces of red, orange and yellow construction paper on the pillar to look like fire. Or color the pillar red, orange and yellow to show the pillar of fire.
Tell the children how the pillar of fire led them by night to give light so that they could go by day and by night.
3. cut out Moses’ rod, glue it on cardboard or construction paper, glue piece of wood on it, or color it brown.
tell the children how Moses and the Israelites got to the Red Sea and how the people were afraid of the Egyptians that were coming after them. Tell them how Moses said “Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD….” Tell them how the LORD told Moses to “lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the middle of the sea.”
4. Cut out the drawing of the Red Sea parted, glue it on cardboard or construction paper, put glue on the ground part, sprinkle sand on it, or color it beige. Glue blue pieces of fabric where the waves are parted, or color the waves blue.
Explain to the children that when Moses held his hand out over the Red Sea, the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all night so that there was dry land and a wall of water on the right side and on the left side. Tell them that the Egyptians followed them into the dry ground, but that when the LORD told Moses to stretch his hand out over the sea again, the sea closed, and the Egyptians were drowned, but all the Israelites were safe. Tell them that the LORD saved Israel that day.